Sunday, January 4, 2009

Me....

Well, I have alluded to some struggles I have been going though. i have emailed a few of you about it.

Connor has acid reflux. The doc said to supplement one feeding a day w/ a bottle of Acid REflux formula. He still wasn't gaining weight. Losing weight in fact.

Doctor then said try 2 bottle feedings and one breast feeding.

Finally gained a few ounces. He spit up on the breast feeding (pretty much all of it came up in massive amounts) and the bottle was normal spitting up.

She said to go ahead and try pumping my milk and put in some rice cereal to thicken it up so it will stay down.

He won't take the pumped milk at all. None.

So, I have been dealing with this.

And before you argue with me, or correct me, please know this is how I perceive things. I know, in my brain, that its different. But this is how my heart feels.

I was making my baby sick. My milk wouldn't stay down and it caused him to lose quite a bit of weight (he is barely up to his discharge weight - still not close to his birth weight). Now, he won't even take what God provided me to give him.

There are a few things that I, as his mommy, can do for him that no one else can. And now, one of those things has been taken away. Part of the reason why I was put on this earth, besides to give birth, is to feed my child(ren). And I suck at it. I can't do it. Without making my son sick.

And it's killing me.

I talked with my OB on Friday. She assured me that his AR is relatively normal. It happens. It isn't my fault, or his, it just is the way that it is. But she did say she is concerned about me.

And yes, I am too.

So, if I still feel even remotely the same way next week, I am to call her and get back in. She will prescribe me something to help. She said that what I seem to have is the "baby blues" but she doesn't want it to go to post partum depression.

Mark was there for the conversation, and I think he "gets it". He has been supportive of me and my inabilities to feed Connor. But, I wasn't srue how he would be when it came to any medicinal help from the doctor.

He told me last night that making sure I am well to take care of me and take care of Connor is the most important thing.

And that's what I am going to do. I am going to take care of me. So I can take care of him.

(p.s. - breaking a 2 1/2 week old of only being able to sleep on you is a sucky thing to go through.)

p.p.s - the same country song keeps going through myhead whenever I see him. It makes me cry like a baby (pun) each and every time. Dammit all.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie! I completely understand your feelings. Logical or not, it's how you feel. You want to give the best possible care to your son...and I'm sure it's normal to feel concerned and frustrated when these challenges arise! (For what it's worth, I think you are an amazing mama and lots of other people do too...I'll bet the other moms here have similar stories to tell.)

Please let Mark and your doctor help you in any way they can. For the millionth time, I wish I was nearby so I could help too. You have the right idea - you need to be taken care of so that you can take care of Connor.

We are all rooting for you and thinking of you!! Please keep letting us know how you are doing. Big, huge hugs to you!

Badness Jones said...

xoxo hon. Rational really doesn't enter into the discussion, does it? I'm glad Mark gets it, and I hope that the baby blues don't last.

Kim said...

Oh, sweetheart, I wish I could fix it for you. Take care of yourself. You know I'm here for you if there is anything at all I can do for you.

Anonymous said...

OH Margaret - Being a new mother is the hardest thing EVER...and having a newborn with a challenge makes it even more difficult. I know your heart doesn't want to accept this but you are already doing wonderfully - you are not a failure at all. Damn that acid reflux.

Remember - regardless of how Connor gets his food the most important thing is he is loved.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Oh dear Margaret, I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time, that you are mourning this way. I am so glad that you, your hubby and doc are on top of things though. I have been through the PD and untreated it is ugly. You are so right about making sure that you are taken care of.

Tami Wyatt said...

MS,

Take good care of you and the rest will eventually fall in to place. You are a strong, smart woman and you are a good mother. If anyone has anything negative to say to you then don't allow them in to your life. You don't need people to ruin this precious time in your life. Everyone always wants to think that they have a better way to do things...Connor is YOUR son and you will always KNOW what is best for him. Everyone else just needs a big ol cup of shut the hell up.

Big hugs, my far away friend,
Tami

Sayre said...

{{YOU}} Not much to add to the above. They've got it right. You just take care of Connor however he needs to be taken care of. And the same goes for you - whatever it takes. There are no perfect babies. Or perfect Mommies. But there is perfect love. I think you've got that in spades.

The Laundress said...

Hugs sister.

I couldn't breast feed. Not because I was making her sick. But because I couldn't figure it out...THAT made ME feel guilty..I know this guilt. I understand.

This guilt makes you crazy. I know that all too well too...

I'm always here to chat. (even if I'm on the phone when you IM me...I always come back)

Mary said...

My milk made my baby sick too in the beginning. I am not going to breast feed this next baby because I don't want to go through it again. You are doing great Margaret and unfortunately some things are out of our control. Hang in there and keep on loving on that baby! You are doing great with him :)
Hope you feel better soon!

Issa said...

Sent you an email earlier.

Curious....what's the song?

Hugs to you. Issa

TxGambit said...

Ah, hugs! I couldn't breastfeed either. My first couldn't suck well enough to do it.... She had to have special nibbles for her bottles. I couldn't pump because it just wouldn't happen. Then my second I did breastfeed but it nearly killed me.... okay not quite but it took a lot out of me. Then my third, I didn't even try because I felt like such a bit ole failure from before.....

It was a hard pill to swallow. Like you said, I should be able to feed my children... but I couldn't do it right so I felt horrible.

I just tried to focus on the things I could do for them and not worry about the other. Easier said than done but I tried.

Hugs, hugs, hugs. I am always here so email me. You know have both of my email addresses so hit me anytime.

Anonymous said...

Hell, I could have written this post shortly after Aaron was born. I feel your pain, completely and am sending you hugs. If I lived near you I would be bringing over pints of Ben & Jerry.

Tami Wyatt said...

Have you heard about this?

http://www.miracleblanket.com/index.htm