Thursday, January 8, 2009

Connor

Connor underwent surgery today . I hesitate to call it emergency surgery, but they had us to go the ER at Texas Childrens' Hospital. We got there at 11am, at 5:30, they took him out of my arms to the surgeon. Emergency surgery? I dunno.

(literally, they told me do NOT go home after the upper GI, do not feed him, go straight to TCH - after Mark got there to drive me - and see the surgeon)

He did super - is in the NICU tonight just because he's three weeks old (sigh, sniff sniff) and should be home to us on Saturday. (Friday is aslight chance but we are not rushing this - if he's not ready then he's not ready).

Long story short - he didn't have reflux. He had some pyloric stenosis or something or another. BAsically, there was a muscle that was too thick that prevented him from truly taking in food. It would go into his tummy, spasm and come back up.

Thus, for 3 weeks, he's essentially not gotten a heck of a lot as far as nutrients. This should fix everything. (he still could have reflux, but we won't know that for a while). He should start gaining weight quickly.

I thank God that we live in Houston, Texas with the world's greatest hospitals, including what I believe is the finest Children's Hospital.

He really did great. He did not particularly care for the IV and blood draw. He also slept through the first part of the sonogram, and the second half - well, not so much. I wanted to check the ultrasound want to see if it had sharp objects that were stabbing him or removing a limb because HOLY CRAP did he hate the second part of the ultrasound. Hated Hated HATED.

We will be back at the hospital bright and early tomorrow. I had to come home and get some sleep.

5 comments:

Sayre said...

Numerous prayers answered, Margaret. Those little voices that tell you something is wrong rarely are. I thought about you guys all last night - literally. I was waking up every hour or so and my first thought was of Connor. I'm glad things are looking up.

m (the misanthrope) said...

*phew* Left you a lengthy email and comment at MD. I am so relieved that you know what's going on now, and that it is fixable! Onward and upward from here, Connor! You are strong and brave, just like your Mama.

Badness Jones said...

Oh hon! You must've been terrified! I'm so glad that he's alright. I'll be thinking of you both today, and hoping that he's home and working on getting all those chunky baby rolls really soon.

(And I thank god all the time that we're in driving distance of Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children - and I pray that we'll never need it. Both of my kids have had tests done there, and the staff is so amazing.)

Issa said...

Oh my god. That's all I can say. I am so glad he's okay. ANd now, maybe they'll have fixed his issues and he'll being a super chunk eating machine.

Hugs to you all.

Tami Wyatt said...

Praise the Lord! I'm so glad all 3 of you pulled through this ordeal. Now, let's make a pact..no more surgeries. Ever.

I hope you are able to get some rest. I know Connor is going to be a very happy baby when he sees you tomorrow.