Thursday, January 15, 2009

Update & THings I've learned since having a baby.

Sorry it's been a while.... I've been out of sorts.

Connor is on a strict three hour feeding regiment.

We think we found the formula that stays down. Problem is, it's thicker than normal and he falls asleep in the midst of eating it - every.damn.time. So I fight with him to stay awake. Tickle (as much as a 4 week old can be tickled) him, scratch his back, sing stupid songs (Head, shoulders, knees and toes is a favorite - I've made up second and third verses too!)

He sleeps much better in his carrier than anything else.

Things I have learned since having a baby

1. I will have a discussion with anyone regarding my son's pooping habits
2. Showering every day has truly become optional (although I did realize yesterday if I make sure he is REALLY sound asleep, I can grab a quick one without someone else being in the house)
3. Have I discussed my son's pooping habits with you? Cause I can
4. I will also discuss nipples and the intricacies of them with anyone. And it's not a perverted thing.
5. I get REALLY f'ing pissed off when I go downstairs and see that "someone" has trashed the kitchen. Two times a day! Every morning after "someone" leaves for work (wow....you use a paper towel to wipe up your spilled coffee/milk/cereal/whatever and leave it on the counter!! Suprise! That shit doesn't LEAP into the trash can by itself!) and then again at night when you get home and leave your travel mug FILLED WITH COFFEE in the sink!!! Rinsing it and putting it in the dishwasher doesn't happen automatically either!!
6. I have sent several text messages regarding
a) my son's pooping habits
b) other bodily functions of my son
7. My MIL calls TWICE A DAY to check on my son. She has commented on
a) Me letting him cry - why would I do that if he has stitches inside?
b) Me spoiling him - why do I hold him so much?
c) Everything else.

I have become a mom.

7 comments:

Tami Wyatt said...

Margaret Sally,

It seems as though you have been fully indoctrinated in a very short time.

I truly wish that I could be there so I could look after Connor so you could take a long shower or a nap. I would also like to have a polite talk with your husband. He's going to have to learn that he needs to step up to the plate and rinse out his coffee cup and throw his paper towels away. I mean, I would hate it if his dishes and paper towels found their way to his bedroom pillow, wouldn't you?

And your mother in law....I don't know how much of this you can stand, I think I would have blown my top 3.5 weeks ago.

Hang in there!
Hugs,
Tami

Sayre said...

You're never gonna do it as well as the MIL, so you may as well give up now... I am, of course, kidding. If MIL had to deal with the exact same thing when SHE had a kid, I'd listen - but if she didn't, well, try not to let it get to you too much. Every kid is different. So is every Mom. Luckily, they seem to match up pretty well.

P.S. Why didn't MIL teach her kid to throw his paper towels away or rinse out his dishes? She must not be perfect either.

Anonymous said...

Hate cleaning the kitchen. Isn't baby poop a wondrous thing?

OH - and you tell that MIL that there is no way you can spoil a baby, especially a 4 week old baby. Sheesh. And besides - if for some reason the baby does become spoiled, you are the only one who has to live with the results - NOT her. I'm sorry you have to take her calls. Maybe you could "accidentally" unplug the phone.

Kim said...

It is absolutely impossible to spoil a baby Connor's age. Impossible.

I say take the phone off the hook unless you need to use it. That'll fix her.

Badness Jones said...

The thing is, grandparents sort of forget what they were like when their own children were small. We were never EVER allowed to sleep with our parents (my dad's rule) so imagine my shock when my parents were staying here and my dad calling to the Princess when she woke up in the night, "it's okay darling, you can come and cuddle with grandpa and grandma."

Just accept the love and adoration she obviously feels for Connor, and let the advice go through your other ear. You're doing great.

And husbands rarely get it. Good luck bringing yours up.

AJsMom said...

Two words: Caller ID. I'm so sorry, I was feeding/changing/bathing Connor, and I couldn't make it to the phone.

Anonymous said...

Wow my friend! I think you have officially joined the Mom Club. You should be getting your badge and decoder ring in the mail any day now :-)

From what my mom says, it is IMPOSSIBLE to "spoil" a newborn. I think you, and ONLY you, know what is best for your son. So cuddle away if that's what helps him, and PFFFFFFFTHHHHHHHBBB to everyone else! Hugs to you!