Sunday, February 22, 2009

Reflux....Sucks

Mother F'ing Reflux.

Sucks.

Ass.

Just when we think its getting better for Connor, it gets worse.

I don't know what the hell to do.

I am fghting the pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist (sp) and am not winning. The pediatric GI specialists here require referrals from the pediatricians and then the specialist determines the urgency of the situation.

Here's the deal...everone says he should be at 25-35 oz a day.

If we get to 22 oz a day, we are lucky as hell.

AND NO ONE IS LISTENING TO ME.

i am his mommy. I know him. I know this isn't right.

WTF do I do? I am watching my son literally be in pain when he eats. in PAIN. Sometimes, he can't go more than 2 oz at a feeding w/o screaming and having to stop.

He can be sitting in his bouncer or car seat and all of a sudden BLAM...reflux hits. The most foul smelling stuff comes out his mouth AND his nose.

I can't sleep w/o him in bed next to me for fear of him choking.

I am struggling to do anything, let alone blogging or reading ya'lls' blogs because I am with him ALL THE TIME. Except being back to work. Which makes it worse.

Sigh.

6 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like to me that he should see the gastroenterologist. Keep fighting! My little guy was sick and no one could figure out what was wrong with him, until we saw the gastroenterologist. He knew in a moment what was wrong and told me just what to do. It's worth the fight. Just keep wearing your pediatrician down. Insist. Whatever it takes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweetie. I am so sorry to hear this. Poor little Connor...he is not old enough to understand what's happening, and it must be terrible for you as his Mama to watch him and feel so helpless. Big hugs to you.

Ditto Kaycie above - YOU know your son and YOU know what's right and not right. I say that one mama's instinct trumps 18 college degrees any day.

For what it's worth though...I think I told you in an email about the surgery I had recently. I had to wear down my GYN and beg and plead to have the surgery that I knew I needed. I had put up with the condition in question for 4+ years before they agreed to do the surgery. I'm not accusing doctors of being unfeeling, but it is really easy for them to say "just put up with it" because they do not have to live with the condition 24/7. I finally got the surgery and am hoping and praying that it works.

Big, big hugs to you and keep on trying sweetie. Best to you and Mark and Connor; let us know how you are doing.

AJsMom said...

I would hound the pediatrician CONSTANTLY until he gave me a referral just to get me to shut up. Either that, or change pediatricians to one who seems to give a damn.

Badness Jones said...

Oh honey....poor Connor, poor you! All you can do is keep arguing with your pediatrician until you get the referral. You are the mommy, and you do know best. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Go see a different pediatrician. Time to switch doctors until you find one that will give you the referral....or just go see the gastro and pay for it out-of-pocket. (the initial visit shouldn't be more than $175)

gina said...

Find a pedi GI. My 4th daughter had reflux- and the pedi couldn't do anything after switching her formula 18 times but the pedi GI got her on prevacid at 10 mos. She wasn't cured, but MUCH MUCH BETTER. And I got through a day without cleaning up 3 milllion gallons of vomit off every surface (moving and not) in my house.